I am a freelancer in the publishing industry, so words are very important to me. I'm a leftist living in a world gone mad, so politics are very important to me. I'm an environmentalist living in a degrading world, so pick up your damn trash, get rid of your gas guzzlers, and don't touch ANWR, you self-absorbed capitalists!

Do leave comments: let's make this a conversation. If you prefer, you can contact me at friuduric at yahoo dot com.

29 January 2007

So Many FOs

This past week was highly productive knitting-wise. I finally completed the Jaywalkers I began in … oh, I don’t want to say (*psst, it was July*). I have named them my Teenage Mutant Zebra socks:


The stitch pattern dissolved the yarn pattern; but you can see it here on the bottom of the socks, which was knit in stockinette:


Would I use this pattern again? No. Although I liked the two-directional diagonal panels, the sock is bunchy and curly in too many places (can you see it in the first picture?). Plus, they are a bit saggy-baggy. I don’t know why the general knitting population thought these were too tight. (And I don’t have particularly narrow feet.)

Knitting socks is one of those things that I think is a great idea, and I love the idea of wearing only hand-knit socks in the winter (in the summer, I want cotton sports socks, thankyouverymuch). But I haven’t had much luck making a sock that *hugs* my foot. I think next time I’ll just make a smaller size, following directions be damned.

Beyond all that, I do like my Teenage Mutant Zebra socks, because how cool do they look with my Stegmann slippers, eh?


I also made a pair of the Fetching fingerless gloves:


I’m sure most people who made these plan to use them when they go outdoors but still need to use their figers to manipulate car keys, metro passes, etc. Not me. I made them to use in my house. You see, when we have guests come over, we crank up the heat to a sweltering 65 degrees (18 C). When family comes to visit (because of little children or older people), we move it up to a scorching 68 degrees (20 C). But when it’s just us (or just me, most days), the daily temp is at a thawed 62 degrees (16 C) (56 [13 C] at night). The chill in my fingers, due to working at the keyboard (for electronic edits) or with pencil (for hardcopy edits), often summons a little devil on my shoulder, who urges me to turn up the heat in the whole house for my measly ten fingers. Now, I can type, make my swirly delete marks, and apply post-it notes without the devil on my shoulder. Very nice.

I would definitely make these again, but maybe make them a little longer abovethe thumb. I made them with Knitpicks’ Wool of the Andes, and hot damn!—is that stuff warm!

Lastly, yesterday afternoon I knit up a Jayne hat for Trixie. I made one for Three of Four’s birthday, but forgot to take a picture of it. Trixie mentioned that she really wanted one, too, so—here you go:


This hat is a reproduction of a hat received by the character Jayne (a big bully of a guy) from his knitting-challenged mother on the short-lived (but incredibly funny) Firefly series. If you like Joss Whedon’s work (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel), westerns, and science fiction, then you should definitely rent this series. This household loved that first season (not as much as Three of Four did, I’d wager, but still…).

Now, someone please talk me out of my mad scheme. I’m thinking I want to make this next. Heaven help me.