I am a freelancer in the publishing industry, so words are very important to me. I'm a leftist living in a world gone mad, so politics are very important to me. I'm an environmentalist living in a degrading world, so pick up your damn trash, get rid of your gas guzzlers, and don't touch ANWR, you self-absorbed capitalists!

Do leave comments: let's make this a conversation. If you prefer, you can contact me at friuduric at yahoo dot com.

11 August 2006

Five by Five*

Proof positive that someone is a relatively new blogger: They get excited when they are tagged for a meme! Thanks to Stegbeetle, I offer you the following:

10 years ago
We were in California. Impera was 2, Trixie was 1 week old, the Consort was preparing to defend his dissertation, I was feeling the baby blues and knowing there was no way I’d be able to pack up our home for our move back East at the end of the month. Later this month, Trixie attended her father’s dissertation at the ripe old age of 3 weeks, we hired packer/movers to get us out of Cali, and we embarked on 2 years in New Jersey where the Consort was busy 6.5 days a week and we lived in the most horrid “family ‘housing’” ever.

5 years ago
We’d been living in Iowa for 1 year. Trixie was about to start kindergarten (both kids in school all day, I was thrilled!). I was editing a terribly boring book on electricity for agriculture. (I remember because I was finishing it up in the first part of September…)

1 year ago
We were spending a week in the North Woods of Minnesota. I was working on one of my ongoing projects, blissfully unaware that on Labor Day I’d be getting a letter that the project was being offshored. Impera was about to start Middle School (moving from a fifth grade class of 25 to a sixth grade class of 200); I was nervous, but I hid it (successfully, I believe).

5 songs I know all the words to

  • Take the Money and Run, Steve Miller Band
  • Get Your Sh*t Together, Beth Hart
  • Bawitaba, Kid Rock
  • The Girl from Ipanema, Antonio Carlos Jobim and Norman Gimbel
  • Je suis un soir d’été, Jacques Brel

    5 snacks
  • homemade yogurt with fresh fruit and wheat germ
  • rice pudding
  • cold pizza
  • Leonidas manon café Belgian chocolates
  • fruit pie made by the Consort

    5 things I’d do with £100 million ($200 million)
  • Give $1 million to each parent and sibling
  • Put aside enough to allow Impera & Trixie to each go to the college of their choice, debt-free
  • Buy some land & build a green house, off the grid, in New England
  • Take the rest and split it:
    • 50% to environmental groups (e.g., Earth First!, Nature Conservancy)
    • 50% to women’s rights / micro-loan groups

    (Because, as the Consort tells me, money makes you unhappy [the gist of his research], so we might as well get rid of it)

    5 places I'd run away to
  • Canada
  • The Greek Islands (the smaller, the better)
  • Charles de Lint’s Newford
  • Madagascar
  • Oregon

    5 things I'd never wear
  • pointy-toed shoes
  • short tops with low-rise pants
  • thongs
  • fur coat
  • any of those stupid-ass designer creations they make the models wear

    5 favorite TV shows (we don’t watch TV, so I should really call this “5 favorite DVD shows”)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Battlestar Gallactica (new Canadian version)
  • Star Trek: Next Generation
  • Star Trek: Voyager
  • Firefly
  • (...do you see a theme developing, here?)

    5 greatest joys
  • The Consort, Impera, and Trixie
  • Spending time with friends
  • Big weather
  • My vision
  • My hearing

    5 favorite toys
  • my library card
  • my iPod
  • my laptop
  • my knitting needles
  • my blog

    5 people I'm tagging (some of these folks have been tagged already, I think)
    Someone I made a promise to keep anonymous (you know who you are!)
    KathyR
    e
    KW
    My Secret Pal (I won’t be able to see the link until the end of August, but still)

    Anyone else wants to join in, please do! (But I know I waited with bated breath until someone finally asked me personally to do one of these!)

    *We're at the point int the Buffy series where Faith comes back and steals Buffy's body. Oooohh...