I am a freelancer in the publishing industry, so words are very important to me. I'm a leftist living in a world gone mad, so politics are very important to me. I'm an environmentalist living in a degrading world, so pick up your damn trash, get rid of your gas guzzlers, and don't touch ANWR, you self-absorbed capitalists!

Do leave comments: let's make this a conversation. If you prefer, you can contact me at friuduric at yahoo dot com.

07 July 2006

Weak Endings

Several of you have chimed in about Poisonwood Bible, saying it was a great read -- despite a weak ending. Thanks for the heads-up, and don't worry, it doesn't make me want to read it any less.

In fact, because you all weren't phased by PB, I have my own recommendation: The Bone People by Keri Hulme. It is a *fantastic story*, and Hulme tackles a serious topic, but in the end, this is a first novel, and she loved her characters too much to stay true to them. Which works out better for them, but not for us as readers. I highly recommend it. (In fact, the Consort & I loved it so much [it was one of the books we read on our traveling year abroad] that we gave it to Sis #2's spouse as a gift. Not once -- but twice! [This is why I now keep a little notebook of what gift we've given to each family member, and for what occasion.])