I am a freelancer in the publishing industry, so words are very important to me. I'm a leftist living in a world gone mad, so politics are very important to me. I'm an environmentalist living in a degrading world, so pick up your damn trash, get rid of your gas guzzlers, and don't touch ANWR, you self-absorbed capitalists!

Do leave comments: let's make this a conversation. If you prefer, you can contact me at friuduric at yahoo dot com.

14 March 2007

Hi/Lo

There was a friend of Trixie’s whose family would do Hi/Lo at dinner every night: What was the high point of your day, what was the lowest. Here are my Hi/Lo from last night:

High
Going to the all-city invitational middle school music concert last night and seeing so many different kids doing something they love: playing music. Being happy that I live in a multicultural city where I would see:

  • Every continent represented. From helping out in the schools, I know a number of them are first-generation immigrants, too.
  • The Surfer Dude (although where he catches wave here in the midwest, I don’t know) playing violin.
  • The two girly-girls playing bass.
  • The kid with the shaved head (except for a small topknot’s-worth, which was strategically laying right down in front of his eyes) playing viola.
  • Girls represented in all instrument sections, even the traditionally “male” percussion section.
  • Boys represented in all instrument sections, even the traditionally “female” flute section.
  • Watching the percussionists move from snare drum to xylophone to snake shaker, all within a single piece.

    Lo
    The two-days’ worth of warm weather we’ve had, which means all sorts of people are spending more time outside and thus I would hear:
  • Speakerboxes booming at 9:00 pm.
  • Cars honking at 9:30 pm because the drivers are too lazy to go ring the darn bell.
  • Big dogs barking at 9:45 pm, because their owners figure it is warm enough out that they can stay out there for a while.