I am a freelancer in the publishing industry, so words are very important to me. I'm a leftist living in a world gone mad, so politics are very important to me. I'm an environmentalist living in a degrading world, so pick up your damn trash, get rid of your gas guzzlers, and don't touch ANWR, you self-absorbed capitalists!

Do leave comments: let's make this a conversation. If you prefer, you can contact me at friuduric at yahoo dot com.

21 April 2006

Violet Jelly


I made a batch of violet jelly yesterday, and, in honor of Earth Day, I present it to you here.

  • 2 cups violet blossoms
  • 2+ cups boiling water

    Pour boiling water on blossoms and cover 12-24 hours (If you can't get to the cooking within 24 hours, store in the refrigerator).

  • 1/4 cup lemon juice

    Strain the petals from the infusion (make sure you have 2 cups of infusion; the petals will absorb a tiny bit), and add the lemon juice.

    On the right is the strained infusion, on the left is the infusion after addition of the lemon juice.

  • 1 pkg. powdered pectin
  • 4 cups sugar

    Dissolve the pectin into the liquid and bring to a rolling boil (one you can't stir down) in a large pot. Add sugar all at once and bring back to rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let boiling die down. Skim off foam with large spoon.

    Pour immediately into hot sterilized jars and seal. Makes 4-5 cups of jelly. Enjoy!