I am a freelancer in the publishing industry, so words are very important to me. I'm a leftist living in a world gone mad, so politics are very important to me. I'm an environmentalist living in a degrading world, so pick up your damn trash, get rid of your gas guzzlers, and don't touch ANWR, you self-absorbed capitalists!

Do leave comments: let's make this a conversation. If you prefer, you can contact me at friuduric at yahoo dot com.

23 August 2007

One Little Word -- Edited

Skimming the Internet the other day, I came across an article on Sexuality in Midlife and Beyond. Don’t worry, at 39, I don’t consider myself at midlife or beyond—yet (although I suppose I ought to). But anything is better than actually doing work when you’re procrastinating. And the Internet is oh so good at providing material for first-rate procrastination.

All was fine and dandy until about halfway down the “Using self-help strategies” section.

Go on. Read it and see if you can find what stopped me in my tracks. Just give it a try. Consider this my attempt at providing you with useful procrastination.

I’ll give you a hint: it was one little word. An inconsequential little conjunction.

In fact, the author could arguably just have made a simple error, because the word the author used and the word I would have preferred to read there are considered synonyms.

Should I just come out and tell you what it was?*

Is that enough of a hint?

Tell me if it stopped you in your tracks, too.

Later today I’ll edit the post to provide the sentence in question.

And all we women can be depressed together.

Edited to add:

This is what I was talking about:

"Often, the vaginal dryness that begins in perimenopause can be easily corrected with lubricating liquids and gels. Use these freely to avoid painful sex - a problem that can snowball into flagging libido and growing relationship tensions. When lubricants no longer work, discuss other options with your doctor."

Talk about a downer. Why can't pharmaceutical cos. spend as much money figuring out how to keep the lubricants working as they do on giving old geezers the opportunity to use the little blue pill? (I suppose I'd really rather they spend as much money on things like cancer and serious diseases, but still!)



*Thanks to a nifty trick I learned over at z's place.