I am a freelancer in the publishing industry, so words are very important to me. I'm a leftist living in a world gone mad, so politics are very important to me. I'm an environmentalist living in a degrading world, so pick up your damn trash, get rid of your gas guzzlers, and don't touch ANWR, you self-absorbed capitalists!

Do leave comments: let's make this a conversation. If you prefer, you can contact me at friuduric at yahoo dot com.

04 April 2007

Let's Take a Break for Cinnamon Rolls

The red skirt came out really well. But I won’t show you pics today because I plan to make a wraparound skirt this afternoon (I’ve gone skirt crazy, I tell you!), and Cate got me thinking that this would work well as a book review, so come back tomorrow for graphics and commentary.

I mentioned to isabelita the other day that I’ve got a really tasty cinnamon roll recipe (with maple frosting!). I’ve cribbed this from Confessions of a Pioneer Woman, but, after comparing it to the generic Betty Crocker recipe, have cut the recipe down to a reasonable amount for a single family (hers makes 7 pans of the stuff!) This version makes one large pan (15–16 rolls). This became the snack of choice for World of Warcraft adventurers during Big Quest Saturdays. I wouldn’t make them too often if I were you. These are dangerous! (Note 1: We do NOT eat these all at one sitting, in case that wasn't clear) (Note 2: There are no pictures here, but if you go to Pioneer Woman, you'll see she's done a fun photo tutorial)

Scald:
1 1/3 c milk
1/3 c oil
1/3 c sugar


Then cool to 100 deg. Sprinkle in

1 1/2 packets yeast

After it’s dissolved, add

2 2/3 c flour

Stir, cover, and let sit for at least 1 hr. Then add:

1/3 c flour
1/3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt


Stir together. Roll out on counter to approx 15 x 10 inches. Drizzle on:

1/4 c melted butter
1/3 c sugar
cinnamon


Roll up to make a long log. Pinch the seam to seal it. Spread:

1 Tb butter in a pan (I use a 13 x 9 x 2 pyrex dish)

Cut rolls into 3/4 to 1 in. slices. Add to pan.

Let rolls sit for 20-30 minutes.

Bake at 400 degrees for 13-16 minutes.

During baking, make maple frosting:

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
scant tsp. maple flavor (Mapleine*)
2 Tbsp milk (can go to 3)
1 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp coffee
pinch of salt


I usually can’t wait very long after they are out of the oven to spread on the frosting. Some of it will melt, but that’s part of the plan, right? Make sure you cover the entire top and all the nooks and crannies. Let the rolls cool until they can be handled (if I’m lucky, I can get people to wait 15-20 minutes), then devour! Mmmmmmmm.

Oh, and remember how I said that Trixie wasn’t into skirts anymore? While I was working on the red skirt yesterday, she asked to look through the book. She flagged the skirts that she would like me to make for her:



Holy cannoli! Thats -- six different skirts she's flagged!


*Mapleine is a maple flavor that comes in a bottle like vanilla extract. It's very common here in the midwest, but I don't remember seeing it on either coast. If you're intrigued, and would like some, let me know, we'll figure something out.